CABRINI 50, URSULINE 46
at Cabrini, Thursday (Jan. 10), Non-District
HOW THE GAME WAS WON: Four KEY MOMENTS
- It was a decent sport for many of the evening in a raucous environment and Cabrini appeared prefer it was able to put the sport away early within the fourth after Oklahoma State signee Kennedi Jackson fouled out with 6:17 left. The Crescents quickly grabbed a 39-32 lead after two free throws by Brionne Woods, however Ursuline got here charging again. Sophomore level guard Tyrielle Williams repeatedly pressured her manner into the lane flattening 4 straight free throws, then Briana Williams transformed a brief hook shot trimming the rating to 39-38 with 3:40 to play. Williams later put in a layup to provide Ursuline a 42-41 lead with 1:06 remaining, however Cabrini’s Karlie Schnauder got here proper again with an and-one on the following possession. The Crescents by no means surrendered the lead once more from that time ahead changing key free throws to carry off the Lions.
- Cabrini made the largest run of the sport for both facet halfway by means of the second quarter. Tyrielle Williams gave the Lions a 17-13 benefit with a bucket on the 4:51 mark, however Cabrini scored the final 13 factors of the quarter to take a 26-17 lead into halftime. 4 completely different Crescents scored through the run with Hannah Weston’s 5 main the best way.
- Ursuline responded to Cabrini’s 13-Zero second-quarter run with a run of its personal within the third quarter. Cabrini’s Hannah Weston put in a transition layup to start out the third, however a shot within the lane by Kennedi Jackson was the beginning of an 11-Zero run for the Lions. A free throw by Tyrielle Williams knotted the rating at 28-28 with 3:35 to play within the third quarter. Cabrini, nevertheless, regained a little bit of management on the finish of the interval to take a 34-30 lead into the final eight minutes.
- Cabrini jumped out to a 5-Zero result in begin the sport however that was the biggest lead both crew would have in a back-and-forth first quarter. The Lions ended up taking a 13-10 lead into the second interval.
PLAYER OF THE GAME
Hannah Weston, Cabrini
Weston had the very best sport of her younger profession scoring a game-high 24 factors to energy the Crescents to victory. The 5-foot-2 sophomore level guard set the tone for Cabrini with a 3-pointer for the primary factors of the sport and likewise knocked down two important free throws late within the contest to provide the Crescents a 48-44 lead.
13 of Weston’s factors got here within the first half and she or he was an element on each ends of the ground pestering Ursuline’s high ball handler, Tyrielle Williams, for almost all of the sport. Weston additionally added eight rebounds, three steals, two steals and three 3-pointers to her stat line and was hoisted on the shoulders of her teammates after the win.
Data: Ursuline, 12-8; Cabrini, 12-10
SCORE BY QUARTERS
Ursuline | 13 | 4 | 13 | 16 – 46
Cabrini | 10 | 16 | 8 | 16 – 50
Ursuline: Tyrielle Williams, 20; Kennedi Jackson, 10; Briana Williams, 6; Taylor Ulmer, 4; Maddie Kempton, 4; Catherine Legendre, 2.
Cabrini: Hannah Weston, 24; Karlie Schnauder, 9; Brionne Woods, 8; A. Coleman, 3; Christi Bantling, 2; Britney Bachemin, 2; Paige Luster, 2.
- Foul hassle was a difficulty for each groups however Ursuline fared a bit worse. The Lions had been already with out certainly one of their high gamers, Kiersten Nelson, resulting from an ankle damage and Oklahoma State signee Kennedi Jackson fouled out with 6:17 left within the fourth quarter. The Lions had been down 35-32 on the time, however had been nonetheless in a position to preserve the sport shut. They misplaced the third of their high three gamers, nevertheless, when Tyrielle Williams fouled out with 9.5 seconds to go whereas Ursuline trailed, 48-46. One in all Cabrini’s high two gamers, Brionne Woods, additionally fouled out with 3:42 remaining within the sport.
- Cabrini coach Nancy Walsh will quickly have her final spherical of chemotherapy earlier than having surgical procedure within the coming months. After a 5-5 begin to the season, the Crescents have rallied round Walsh to win 4 of their final six video games. Walsh and the crew rung the “most cancers bell” following the sport in honor of the longtime coach nearing the tip of her therapy.
- Brionne Woods led Cabrini in rebounds and blocked pictures with 10 and 7, respectively. Ursuline’s Kennedi Jackson led her crew in the identical classes posting 14 boards with eight swatted pictures. Tyrielle Williams led Ursuline in scoring with 20 whereas allotting a game-high seven assists.
- Weston acquired a little bit of an early birthday reward with Thursday’s excellent efficiency. The sophomore will make 16 this coming Sunday.
THEY SAID IT
Cabrini PG Hannah Weston: “We practiced actually exhausting and we knew what they had been going to take action we tried to counteract their greatest strikes and see if we may shut them down and get them in foul hassle early and see if we may get this win.
I actually ready for this sport. I stayed after (observe) and shot so much and was actually targeted on attempting to win. I simply knew I needed to get this win for my crew.
I’ve performed in (this environment) earlier than so I used to be used to blocking the group out and simply specializing in getting the ‘W.'”
Cabrini coach Nancy Walsh: “She’s solely a sophomore and she or he’s attempting to determine what her management function is with 4 seniors (beginning round her). However you may inform from the soar ball right this moment that she actually wished to win this sport.
It is all the time a giant rivalry (between Cabrini and Ursuline) and we have been inconsistent all yr lengthy, however when it is time to play Ursuline I haven’t got to say something.”
Ursuline coach Kris Goff: “I favored the best way we performed within the second half and I do not care who’s on the court docket, so long as we have got Ursuline throughout our chest I really feel like we are able to play with anyone. We’re preventing by means of some accidents and all that great things however once more, our phrase is ‘adversity’ so it’s what’s. We’re simply going to maintain preventing and I like that our children are rising each single day with each alternative they get.
(Jackson, Nelson and Williams) are actually the one three that performed significant varsity minutes (final yr) however it was enjoyable even when (Williams) fouled out. We had our freshman (Taylor Ulmer) step up and go coast-to-coast to get us a layup and we known as a timeout with 4 seconds and had been nonetheless within the sport. They by no means stop, that is what’s enjoyable about it and I am going to go to battle with that any day of the week. I feel everyone within the stands revered the best way each groups performed…my women had been like ‘man, it is so loud in right here.’ It was only a nice environment.”
Up Subsequent: Each Cabrini and Ursuline will proceed non-district play of their subsequent matchups. The Crescents will host Helen Cox Tuesday at 6 p.m. whereas Ursuline travels to Madison Prep Saturday at 7 p.m.