Candy tropical warmth is what makes the West Indies-style wings at San Jose’s District bar and restaurant so widespread. After the wings emerge from the fryer, chef Bob Cina tosses them in a posh spice rub accented with orange zest, and serves them with a creamy mango-habañero sauce on the aspect. However at dwelling, he will get an analogous outcome with none frying. Right here’s how:
District Spiced Rooster Wings with Spicy Mango-Tamarind Dipping Sauce
Serves 10 to 15 as an appetizer
Notice: The dipping sauce recipe beneath makes restaurant-sized portions. Be at liberty to chop the recipe right down to measurement.
¼ cup distilled white vinegar
1 cup water
2 bay leaves
1 teaspoon dried chile flakes
6 black peppercorns
½ cup salt
1 tablespoon sugar
6 kilos hen wings
1 bunch scallions, inexperienced half solely, finely sliced
Wing spice combine:
½ teaspoon floor star anise
½ teaspoon floor allspice
½ teaspoon floor cinnamon
1 teaspoon floor cumin
1 teaspoon floor coriander
1 teaspoon ancho chile powder
1 teaspoon pink chile powder
1 teaspoon floor ginger
2 teaspoons contemporary orange zest
three tablespoons brown sugar
three tablespoons sea salt
- In a saucepan, deliver the brine elements — the vinegar, water, herbs, spices, salt and 1 tablespoon sugar — to a simmer. Simmer for five minutes, till sugar and salt dissolve.
- In a container massive sufficient to carry the wings and brine, add three cups chilly water and three cups ice cubes. Add the vinegar combination to the iced water and let sit till utterly cool. Add wings, ensuring they’re submerged and let brine in fridge for 18 to 24 hours.
- Take away wings from brine and pat dry with paper towels.
- Warmth oven to 300 levels. Place a rack inside a rimmed sheet pan.
- In a mixing bowl, mix all of the spice combine elements with a big spoon, grinding every part collectively to include the oils from the orange zest into the remainder. Take away 1 tablespoon of the wing spice to make use of for making the dipping sauce (see recipe beneath). Make the dipping sauce, as properly.
- Place wings on the ready sheet pan and bake for 15 minutes. Take away from oven and let cool to room temperature. Flip oven as much as 425 levels.
- Toss the cooled wings within the wing spice combination, ensuring they’re coated generously. Return to the rack within the sheet pan and bake for 15 to 18 minutes extra. (In the event you desire fried wings, you possibly can fry them after the primary spherical of baking and cooling, however wait till after they’re fried to toss them within the wing spice.)
- To serve, toss wings with sliced scallions and extra salt if desired. Serve with spicy mango tamarind dipping sauce.
Spicy Tamarind-Mango Yogurt Dipping Sauce
2 tablespoons oil
1 tablespoon garlic, sliced
1 tablespoon contemporary ginger, minced
2 tablespoons white onion or the white elements of scallions, diced
1 to three habañero peppers, seeded and sliced
1 tablespoon reserved Wing Spice
eight ounces brown sugar
½ cup darkish or spiced rum
½ cup rice vinegar
½ cup orange juice (no pulp)
1 tablespoon sea salt
four ounces tamarind paste
four ounces frozen mango chunks
1 to 2 cups Greek yogurt
- Warmth a medium-size sauce pot over medium-high warmth. Add oil and prepare dinner garlic, ginger, onion and habañero till softened and simply evenly browned. Stir in spice combine and sugar and prepare dinner for two minutes. Add rum, vinegar and orange juice. Carry to a boil and let liquid scale back by half. Add salt, tamarind paste and mango and produce again to a simmer for 15 minutes. Take away from warmth and funky barely.
- Puree sauce in a blender, being cautious to keep away from scorching splatters. Cool sauce to room temperature, then mix equal elements sauce and Greek yogurt.
— Courtesy government chef Bob Cina, District restaurant, San Jose and San Francisco
For extra food and drinks protection
comply with us on Flipboard.