Camp 4’s iconic centerpiece is Columbia Boulder. The lightning bolt — initially drawn by legendary climber John Bachar — marks the boulder downside known as Midnight Lightning.
Yosemite’s freewheeling Camp 4, well-known because the incubator for the valley’s mountaineering scene, is not first-come, first-served.
Below a pilot program, a each day lottery system will assign campsites there from Might 22 till early September. After that, the system will revert to the no-reservation system till the next spring.
In saying the choice, the nationwide park mentioned: “Beforehand throughout summer time, campers typically lined up the evening earlier than they tried to register in Camp Four with the hopes of getting a tenting area. That inefficient system contributed to wildlife points attributable to improper meals storage, unlawful tenting, and conflicts between campers.”
The campsite, simply west of Yosemite Lodge, has 36 walk-in websites.
Since 2003, it has been on the Nationwide Register of Historic Locations for “its important affiliation with the expansion and improvement of mountaineering within the Yosemite Valley.”
Particulars of the lottery:
- Every day from midnight to Four p.m., functions shall be accepted at recreation.gov for the next day’s vacancies. Winners shall be notified shortly after 4.
- As much as 12 folks might be included on an software, and a celebration can request as much as seven nights.
- The non-refundable lottery charge is $10. Those that win areas shall be charged $6 per particular person per evening.
- All members of a celebration should examine in and present identification.
- Six folks shall be assigned to every campsite. Parking permits shall be included with the tenting permits.
From Might 1 to Sept. 15, Yosemite’s tenting restrict is 14 nights in all the park, seven nights in Yosemite Valley.