* The Pac-12 Hotline e-newsletter is revealed every Monday-Wednesday-Friday throughout the school sports activities season (and twice-a-week in the summertime). This version, from Might 15, has been made obtainable in archived kind.
School soccer’s main TV networks are starting to unveil their broadcast schedules for 2019, and the early developments are combined for the Pac-12.
Fox Sports activities introduced that the marquee sport of the week on FOX (over the air) will begin at 9 a.m. PDT, which robotically eliminates the Pac-12 from the pool of potential video games.
The choice wasn’t meant as a slap on the convention. Reasonably, it’s seen as a tactical transfer designed to advertise Fox’s new pregame present — a rival to School GameDay that may characteristic Reggie Bush and City Meyer as analysts.
What we don’t know but is how FOX plans to fill the early- and late-afternoon home windows and the way usually Pac-12 groups will obtain a kind of coveted assignments.
The information from ESPN on Wednesday morning was extra encouraging for the Pac-12, on two fronts:
1. The Oregon-Auburn neutral-site showdown in Week One is slotted for primetime, with a 4:30 p.m. kickoff on ABC — an enormous alternative for the Geese, for Justin Herbert and for the Pac-12.
2. The Pac-12 title sport is transferring to ABC this 12 months.
Whereas remaining on a Friday at 5 p.m. (in Levi’s Stadium), the sport can have entry to a bigger viewers than if it had remained on ESPN.
(ABC reaches 110+ million houses, whereas ESPN is in about 85 million.)
To ensure that the convention to maximise the publicity alternative, nonetheless, the sport has to imply one thing for the playoff race.
Oh, and if you happen to’re questioning in regards to the Pac-12’s early-season video games:
Kickoff occasions and TV assignments are anticipated to be launched late this month. — Jon Wilner
*** Signal-up right here for a free subscription to the Hotline e-newsletter. Thanks in your assist.
• We took an in depth look Tuesday morning at UCLA’s precarious tutorial scenario: The Bruins are far nearer than you would possibly assume to being ineligible for the NCAA Event due to poor Tutorial Progress Charge scores. Yep, that’s about the very last thing the convention wants. (And yep, the L.A. faculties have to get their act collectively.)
• The Pac-12 is loading up on Energy 5 opponents over the following decade, with 112 video games scheduled (and extra more likely to be added). Guests to the west coast over that timeframe embrace LSU, Ohio State and Michigan. The Hotline revealed all of the video games presently beneath contract in one-stop purchasing kind.
• ICYMI: The Monday e-newsletter paid tribute to the life and legacy of former Arizona coach Dick Tomey, who made a deep and lasting contribution to the Pac-12 recruiting pipeline. (He’s the ‘Godfather’ for a motive.) Earlier editions of the e-newsletter can be found in archived utilizing this hyperlink.
Why we’d like your assist: Like so many different suppliers of native journalism throughout the nation, the Hotline’s father or mother web site, mercurynews.com, not too long ago moved to a subscription mannequin. Just a few Hotline tales will stay free every month (as will this text), however for entry to all content material, you’ll have to subscribe at a fee of simply 12 cents per day for 12 months. And thanks in your loyalty.
• The NCAA surprised the school sports activities world Tuesday with the information that it has shaped a working group to review the problem of athletes being compensated for using their identify, picture and likeness (NIL). As CBS Sports activities columnist Dennis Dodd wrote: “The nation’s most influential beginner group threw open a door to altering the foundational beginner standing that has propped it up for greater than a century.” (The group consists of Colorado athletic director Rick George, by the best way.) And if you happen to’re searching for extra commentary on this very important concern, right here’s Yahoo’s Pat Forde: “However the truth that the NCAA has let down its drawbridge, crossed the moat and dared to formally contemplate identify, picture and likeness is a dramatic shift.”
• Utah continues to fortify its roster with graduate transfers. The newest pledges are offensive lineman Noah Myers from Washington State and linebacker Mique Juarez, a former 5-star recruit who performed sparingly for UCLA.
• The Oregonian’s 25-part sequence breaking down the Geese’ depth chart in position-by-position format has made the flip for house with installment No. 13: a have a look at defensive deal with.
• Athlon’s ranked the Pac-12 quarterbacks, though the publication assumes Gabe Gubrud will begin for Washington State. (We’re not so certain; Anthony Gordon performed nicely throughout the spring.)
• USC is a sleeper within the Pac-12 South, in keeping with 247sports activities. Ponder that for a second.
• Nothing says ‘Welcome again to campus’ fairly like a parking ticket. Isn’t that proper, Mike Bercovici?
• Oregon’s stellar class of 2019 obtained higher Tuesday: Chris Steele, a 5-star cornerback, introduced he’s transferring from Florida to Oregon. Extenuating circumstances prompted him to depart the UF program earlier than taking part in a down, however the NCAA should grant a waiver for Steele to be eligible within the fall. He’s from Southern California and handed on USC no less than as soon as … and perhaps twice.
• Working again Christian Grubb was headed to Arizona State as a walk-on, till a South division rival supplied the Sherman Oaks burner a scholarship.
• UCLA’s scholar newspaper revealed a scorching editorial earlier this week on the state of the Bruins’ athletic division — and took direct goal at AD Dan Guerrero within the course of: “The establishment that when boasted probably the greatest school athletics groups within the nation, now sees its big-name groups falling from the rankings, its athletics directors allowing bribery through donations and its coaches illegally being bribed. Reform is a gargantuan effort at this level – one which may entail heads rolling.” FYI: Guerrero is reportedly beneath contract by the calendar 12 months. (Thanks D1 for the alert.)
• Undecided anybody thought-about Luguentz Dort a candidate to withdraw from the NBA Draft and return to Arizona State, however Dort confirmed that he’s staying within the draft.
• In the meantime, Bobby Hurley to Michigan? Hmmmm.
• An up to date (post-Lottery) mock draft from CBS Sports activities’ Gary Parrish has Dort headed to the Celtics as one in all 4 Pac-12 gamers within the first spherical.
• Arizona has added perimeter depth for its 2020-21 lineup, with Kentucky switch Jemarl Baker committing to the Wildcats. (He’ll sit out subsequent season.)
• Cal large man Connor Vanover is headed to Arkansas.
• Washington wing Jaylen Nowell goals to enhance his draft place this week on the NBA Mix. The Pac-12 Participant of the Yr is presently projected for the second spherical.
• Additionally from Seattle: UW coach Mike Hopkins will serve on the workers of USA Basketball’s U19 group on the World Cup. The top coach: Kansas State’s Bruce Weber.
Content material on Pac-12 Olympic sports activities …
• Oregon picked up a serious dedication Monday from wing Maddie Scherr, one of many prime prospects within the nation.
• Within the storied historical past of Stanford baseball, nobody had hit 4 house runs in a single sport … till first baseman Andrew Daschbach did it Tuesday evening.
• UCLA swimming and diving coach Cyndi Gallagher is retiring after 30+ years on the job.
• The Cardinal has a brand new males’s swimming coach: Dan Schemmel.
What’s approaching the Pac-12 Hotline:
• Thursday is all in regards to the QBs: We’ve obtained a prolonged, deep-dive podcast into all 12 depth charts with Pac-12 Networks analyst Yogi Roth and the post-spring installment of the Hotline’s QBCQ (Quarterback Consolation Quotient), which takes into consideration the standard of the starter and the reserves.
The following e-newsletter is scheduled for Friday. Get pleasure from it? Please ahead this electronic mail to pals (enroll right here). When you don’t, or produce other suggestions, let me know: [email protected]
*** Observe me on Twitter: @WilnerHotline
*** Pac-12 Hotline will not be endorsed or sponsored by the Pac-12 Convention, and the views expressed herein don’t essentially mirror the views of the Convention.